Friday, January 4, 2013

Iron Man Themed Tau Stealth Suits! Old School Versions!


Old School here with the first update of my latest commission: Iron Man themed Tau Stealth Suits (old school style). A local gaming buddy asked me to take on a Tau commission and I kind of fussed, but then he said "Dude, Iron Man Tau" and at that point, I said "Call me Jarvis" and we rolled up our sleeves to look at his collection!




The Iron Man theme is a natural attraction for me because over the last year or so, I have developed a love for loud armies and the xenos armies in particular. This made it very hard to turn down, especially when I have a real love of Tau (and I am hoping that painting this will lead to me to NOT buying a Tau army, haha!). The basic paint scheme involves three shades of red (only one of which ever seems to appear in my photography): A Khorne Red Base, a 45 degree zenithal highlight of Mephiston Red, followed by a selective highlight of Evil Suns - all applied with the airbrush. I based half the army that way and am now working squad by squad with the hope of handing the client an allied detachment in the next week or so.


The rest of the scheme is simple, but effective, particularly at the tabletop view. The yellow is simply Iyanden Darksun (I think I bought GW out of it when the line switched) followed by a sepia wash. The blue areas are all painted Ultramarine Blue, washed with Guiliman Blue and then painted over with a layer of Temple Blue. The base is dawn stone (as are all the other greys on the model), highlighted by Ushabti Bone (I hate trying to remember the new paint names). The flock is some autumn mix from GF9. I applied a little battle damage with drops of sepia and tiny splotches of leadbelcher.  


I have some Firewarriors in the works as well as my 30+ cultists to work on this weekend, so be on the look out for more work on Monday. If I can, I will squeek out a book review for Ahriman: Exile.

As always, I would love to here what you think. I know it is a break from the pure evil I have been producing for my own stuff lately, but what the hell, you have to save up the darkness sometimes before you let it out!

7 comments:

  1. Damn dude those look really nice. I like the scheme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice I bought a ton of Iyadin Darksun as well, P3 has an Ocher color that is close but a little lighter/more yellow if you run out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the color as much as it is the ability to cover with 1-2 coats.

      Delete
  3. Good schema, I would rather use gold but as it is now, I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can go both ways, being a fan of Iron Man growing up, the comics originally were the yellow and red, which then switched. The client originally had a few models painted up with yellow and told me to take the idea from there, so I adapted it.

      What I do find bothersome is that a three color red pattern is my favorite way to paint reds with the airbrush, but no matter what camera or backdrop I use, it never photographs well. I have used everything from my old 4MP to my Canon 7D and everything in between and I just can't master it.

      Delete
    2. it is a shame becuase they sould look way better in person.

      Delete
  4. Those look great call me very very happy. I am glad you decided to take these guys on.

    ReplyDelete